Tuesday 13 January 2015

Reversible Pinafore Ta-Dah!

It's been a while since I had a ta-dah moment....so I thought I'd get on with it and show you!

Ready.................

Ta-DAaaaaaH!.............


And here it is the other way round............

TA-daHH!...................


Sorry it's a bit screwed up in the pictures...but as soon as it was made a Little Lady had to wear it to Nana's House for Sunday lunch!

I had to rescue it back for a photo shoot!

The inspiration came from 2 sources.  Firstly Sewing World, Issue October 2012.............



It's a great magazine and if I don't want to make the projects they most certainly inspire me.

The second was Jen over at My Make Do and Mend Year who, apart from being a thrifty gal, which is inspiring, has also thrown down the gauntlet to her stitchy followers to 'Sew your own wardrobe'!

She has decided to call it....


........and as you can see it has it's own little hashtag to boot!

Why not click on the link to join in the fun?

Anyhow, back to the pinafore.

Sewing World always has a full size pattern sheet inside...............


I don't ever cut mine as there is usually more than one project that I want to make, so I use ordinary A4 paper from my printer and trace if off, like this...........


I prefer printer paper to dressmaking paper, as I am a bit heavy handed.  It also stores well, so it's ready and waiting for next time.

I searched my stash and found a tiny piece of ric rac in the perfect yellow and 4 buttons, 2 red and 2 yellow.  Also some soft needle cord (bought about 30 years ago to make culottes!) in a coordinating green to this fabric.........

I

This is the lovely owl fabric Little Lady choose on a trip into our local town last year...cute isn't it?

As I didn't have enough of one or other to make a full front and back...I got a bit inventive and managed (with an invisible seam!) to make the fabric go far enough by making co-ordinating bands in the bottoms of each side...phew!

My only complaint is that the shoulder straps are a bit short....so it looks like I might have to lop them off and  pop a bit of extra length on...and re-do the button holes!  Poop.  Hopefully the joins won't detract from the overall look.

I should still have enough tiny scraps left for her to make a little bag to go with it.

To say she loves it is mild.....that's nice.  If you spend hours doing something, it is nice that it is loved.

So....this is my first piece towards a handmade wardrobe, not mine, but Little Lady's.

Not sure what the next item will be, so watch this space!

Until next time, take care,
love
Nora
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please don't leave without commenting as it's nice to know you were here x